Some of the Indicators of Gum Disease
Frequently referred to as periodontal disease, gum disease is characterized as an infection of the gum and bone tissues that keep your teeth in their ideal positions. This condition is caused by bad oral hygiene, allowing bacteria to build up and to harden. When it's not treated, it might lead to serious damage to the gum and bone tissues that support the teeth. This is one of the leading causes of loose teeth in patients in Katy, TX. At Made Ya Smile Katy, TX, we offer minimally invasive and surgical treatment solutions for individuals with any degree of periodontal disease.
Signs of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease may oftentimes be hard to notice, which can make it nearly impossible to know when you have it. This means that routine appointments and biannual dental cleanings are an essential step in diagnosing gum disease before it advances. A few frequent indications of gum disease are:
- Pus between the gumline and teeth
- Puffy, red, or sensitive gums
- Bleeding while brushing or flossing
- Changes in tooth and jaw alignment
- Loose or separating teeth
- Foul-smelling breath
- Damaged gum tissues
For individuals who live in Katy, TX and think they may have gum disease, our highly trained team will help you address it before it progresses to more damaging phases.
Levels of periodontal disease
This disease has three phases:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the initial stage of periodontal disease, is a result of tartar buildup, impacting only the gums. At this early point, the jawbone has not been harmed, so gum disease is still curable.
- Periodontitis: During this phase, any damage to the gums and bone that secure your teeth in place is not fixable. Pockets could also develop underneath the gumline, catching food particles and bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments in conjunction with good brushing practices will help decrease the risk of further damage.
- Advanced periodontitis: The final phase of periodontal disease is diagnosed when the abscess has caused harmful bacteria. This phase necessitates laser treatments or surgical intervention to clear out areas of buildup beneath the gumline. In the event that advanced periodontitis is not addressed, lost teeth, gum recession, and other serious problems will occur.
To summarize, taking care of periodontal disease as soon as you can is necessary. At Made Ya Smile Katy, TX, we teach our patients proper dental hygiene techniques to let them avoid the progression of this dangerous oral wellness issue.
Solutions for periodontal disease
The treatment selected for you will be decided by the severity of your periodontal disease. Taking care of gum disease as early as possible works to lessen damage, as well as any need for a surgical solution. The ambition of any gum treatment is to restore the condition of your gums. A few of the most common periodontal solutions provided at our Katy, TX practice include:
- Scaling and root planing therapy: Scaling and root planing is a nonsurgical procedure that eradicates bacteria around the gumline, producing a smoother enamel surface. Smoothing bumpy spots lets our skilled team eliminate bacteria and produce a clean surface for the gums to reattach effortlessly.
- Gum lift: To carry out this procedure, the gumline is raised so plaque can be easily accessed. The gumline is then set so the tissue sits snugly around each tooth. This will reduce the gap separating the gum and the tooth, which deters bacteria from developing once more.
- Bone and gum grafting: Gum and bone grafts utilize fragments of the patient’s own bone or donor bone to replace areas of the jaw that were affected by the progression of periodontal disease, which will make the teeth more secure. Soft tissue transplants are provided to build up thin gums, as well as to fill in places where periodontal recession has occurred.
- Dental implants: When your teeth go missing, we offer a large number of restorative dentistry solutions, like crowns and implants, to restore your smile.
Learn more about gum disease procedures in Katy, TX
If not addressed, gum disease will turn into more dangerous problems. At Made Ya Smile Katy, TX, we work with people and their families to help them improve their dental health. For more information on gum disease treatments, or to set up an appointment at our dental care facility, give us a call.